May 18, 2008

My Favorite Movies : for 2007

After some reflection I was able to finalize the rankings my favourite 10 movies in 2007. I have listed them and provided reasons for why I liked them:





Chennai – 600028 (Tamil) : What can I say the combination was awesome, Chennai + Street Cricket + Amazing Script. Venkat Prabhu you win hands down as the director of the year. SPB Charan and J. K Saravanaa.. you made one the finest films tamil cinema has seen in recent times. The only movie that stood up to Sivaji and did not falter. I am waiting with bated breath for Saroja.

Johnny Gaddar (Hindi): What can I say one of the best Bollywood movies in a long time. Sriram Raghavan you rock. Neil Nitin Mukesh you are the next big thing in Bollywood after Hrithik. And music one of the best I have heard in a long time.

Paruthi Veeran(Tamil) : Realism, Realism and Realism. Should have been India's entry to the Oscars, Karthi and Priyamani's performances were superlative. Kudos to Ameer. The climax was disturbing but realistic.

300 (English): Brilliant new wave of making movies. Could have been # 1 but alas history was distorted to show Persians in a bad light.

Stardust (English): A fun movie was a good roller coaster ride.

Taare Zameen Par (Hindi): One word Darsheel Zafary. Kudos to Aamir on taking on such a commercially risky but realistic storyline, way to go Aamir.

Polladhavan (Tamil) : Raw and realistic portrayal. Brilliant performances especially and a superb song Engeyum Eppodum. And of course Divya Spandana!

Live Free or Die Hard (English): Brilliant, pure action movie from Hollywood in a long time.

Kalloori (Tamil) : Realistic, had me reflecting on my college days deeply. I liked the movie very much and this movie could have been at the top 5 in the list, but I hate tragic endings.

Oram Po (Tamil) : Brilliant depiction of the auto rickshaw culture in Chennai. The film was hilarious, and the movie shut out the concept of taking life seriously. Sun of Gun and Arya are brilliant.
Categories: