April 11, 2012

Light rail on Jersey City (photo) and nostalgia about trains and my childhood

http://instagr.am/p/JTFf9CmKlj/

This is where I take the train home from work everyday. Really something magical about trains... used to love them as a kid.

I used to be on  trains running across the country from Mumbai to Chennai and further south every year as a kid during summer holidays. I used to count the carriages (compartments) of trains passing by and used to get terribly disappointed if the train I was traveling was had lesser carriages. Invariably I used to be happy most of the times because our train used to be the Mumbai- Chennai mail the slowest and the longest.

Miss the trains and those long journeys across winding mountains, rivers and innumerable villages and hundreds of stations across rural India. Miss those hot coffee, teas and vadas... miss the thrill of standing on the train door and looking at vast swathes of empty  land with the wind gushing ...
Really miss the magical Indian railways....

Categories: